What Makes a Leader?
Lately, I’ve been trying to make a change. A change that requires me to take in and surround myself with more positive, inspirational, and motivational things. By things I mean people, listening to and watching people’s success stories, reading the advice from other successful business and entrepreneurial minded individuals, and keeping positive thoughts running through my mind. There’s a reason why other people have found success so I might as well take in and try to learn from what they have to say!
I have found that it’s true…if you read, listen to, or watch something positive everyday for at least 15 minutes it changes the way you process things. It’s amazing what happens to your thinking, to your beliefs, and your commitment level towards wanting to be successful, the desire to accomplish something, and to achieve a goal.
With this post I wanted to get into what makes a good leader. You’ve probably noticed that I’ve added a MonaVie page and banners to my site. That’s because my brother and I have become independent distributors for the company. That’s a whole other post, though. Anyways, I was reading one of MonaVie’s on the move magazines from last year and a Hawaiian Blue Diamond Executive, Paul Barrios, made a list of what makes a MonaVie leader. I don’t think that this applies to ONLY MonaVie, but other professions and areas in life as well. Here’s the list:
- A leader doesn’t look at how things are; A leader looks at how things can become.
- A leader knows time will expose you; A leader also knows time will promote you.
- A leader will never succeed with self-doubt; A leader has complete belief in his convictions.
- A leader is not lazy and never procrastinates; A leader knows that nothing happens without a sense of urgency.
- A leader remains consistent; A leader does not want to become non-existent.
- A leader doesn’t ask, ‘why me;’ A leader asks, ‘why not me.’
- A leader knows that it’s not the skill of the man; A leader knows that it’s the will of the man.
- A leader is never arrogant; A leader is humble and always ready to learn more.
- A leader is not afraid of the future; A leader looks forward to the future, full of courage.
- A leader understands that he is not the leader of his group; A leader is a leader in his group.
- A leader knows when it’s time to quit; A leader will never quit if the dream is big enough.
- A leader knows that tough times never last; A leader knows that tough people do.
There are many areas that I agree with Paul Barrios and can relate to. I know that I’m a great leader, or so I think I am, but I also know that there is always more to learn and improve on. I really like the last line “A leader knows that tough times never last; A leader knows that tough people do.” It’s about overcoming adversity in every aspect of life and never giving up. We’ve all heard the cliché, “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” I wish life was easy, but I know that in order to become who I want to become and to live the life I envision myself living in the future that I must face each challenge that presents itself with courage and the heart of a lion. I must be persistent and consistent to find success and to be a good leader.
“The very essence of leadership is that you have to have a vision.”
Leaders instill in their people a hope for success and a belief in themselves. Positive leaders empower people to accomplish their goals. -Unknown
It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up. -Babe Ruth
The difference between the impossible and possible lies in a person’s determination. -Unknown
I dream of men who take the next step instead of worrying about the next thousand steps. -Theodore Roosevelt
Leaders are not born. They are made. They are made just like anything else…through hard work. That’s the price we have to pay to achieve that goal or any goal. -Vince Lombardi
A leader is one who knows the way, shows the way, and goes the way. -Unknown
Real leaders are ordinary people, with extraordinary determinations. -John Seaman Garns
Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he
wants to do it. -Dwight D. Eisenhower